Sunday, August 16, 2015

Checking in

It has been a few months since my last post.  If anybody is still reading, don`t worry, I am not dead.  I am just a father.

My son is now 10 months old and the old saying about your children becoming your only hobby because they kill all your other hobbies is basically true.  I don`t think I have played any video games since he was born (save testing some that I sold, but basically that just involves me putting the cart in to see if the game loads and no more).

To be honest, I haven`t missed them much - playing with the little guy and watching him grow day by day is by far the funnest thing I have ever done.  Suddenly I find myself finding it hard to imagine having a hobby that wouldn`t include him.So now my hobby is reading Thomas the Tank Engine books to a little guy who can`t speak yet but absolutely LOVES it when I make a toot-toot sound for Thomas.  Hard to beat that.

Blogging is, along with video games, one of those hobbies that has had to take a back seat as a result, hence the lack of posts here.  At the moment he is sleeping so I have a few minutes before I pass out from exhaustion to compose this post (ever tried spending a day carrying a 10kg bag of potatoes around?  Give it a try and you`ll understand).  I`m not sure how often I will be able to post though, mainly because I haven`t got much to write about. Its incredibly difficult to generate content for a video game blog when you aren`t playing video games.  I am not declaring the blog closed though, I have too strong an attachment to it to do that.  When my son gets old enough to play I might start back into video games again. I hope he`ll like the Famicom classics because thats what we`ll be playing.  And maybe that will generate some interesting material for posts.

In the interim I will try to find some time to devote to posts whenever I have a minute.  I do at least get the chance to stop at game shops on the way home from work once every month or two.  I don`t buy stuff much anymore, nothing like the glory days in Fukuoka 4 or 5 years ago, but I still like to look.  When I find something interesting, I`ll try to let you know on here!

10 comments:

  1. So nice to hear from you again, Sean. I was just thinking about you the other day, and even checked out your Twitter account to see if you'd said anything there recently. Anyway, I'm glad to hear all is well with you. Also, how nice is it that parenthood is so fulfilling it's stolen your attention away from some previous loves (the Famicom and this blog)? Absolutely nothing wrong with that, if you ask me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bryan, good to hear from you too! Parenthood is indeed fulfilling. Actually blogging and Famicom-ing are also fulfilling, but in different ways. Someday I shall find the time to return to them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. have been reading this blog infrequently for years, glad to know it isn't closed yet just in hibernation :) no rush enjoy your guy's time together, famicom games will still be waiting for you when he's older

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, sb! I will try to bring it out of hibernation whenever I can but yes, time with my little guy is now prioritized over blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to give a thanks from someone who moved to Fukoka a few years ago! There have been a few times I've been reading an entry, looking forward to a place only to find a later entry saying it was closed. You've helped me find a lot of nooks and crannies I would have undoubtedly missed, so thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Craig,

    Thanks for the comment, I am really glad to know that someone in Fukuoka is carrying on in my game-hunting footsteps! It has been almost 3 years since I left, I imagine most of the info on here is pretty out of date by now (some of it was out of date even while I was still there). Seems game shops popped up and disappeared pretty quickly, I imagine there are probably some new ones that weren't around in my day. Hope you have fun exploring them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do drop by this blog every now and then! Glad it's back ! Enjoy you Parenthood !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't relate, but it's great to know you're enjoying parenting! For that, I don't think I'll mind a lack of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sean,

    I'm glad to hear some news from you, I was pretty sure that was your baby which is consuming all your time, I wish the best for you and your wife, I've told you before that my wife and I we are going to have a baby, at this moment she is 5 month pregnant so I will experiment the time consumption that having to care a baby takes (he is also a boy like yours). I hope to see you back again, you know the 98% of my Famicom collection comes from you :)

    Regards from Mexico
    Eduardo Q

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Eduardo! Wow, 5 months already, time flies! Becoming a parent is the best thing in the world, I think both you and your wife will be extremely happy when the big day arrives!

    ReplyDelete